Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Concrete Sox Interview

1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We are currently rehearsing since January with a new line-up. We will mix many old songs with a few new ones for 2013. What a great bunch of people we have in the band now! Drummer Pug [43 years] played for Sox before (97/98) so he is familiar with the songs/style. I have known him for 25 years. Recently, he played drums for 2 years with The Fiend.  Michèle (my Canadian wife) [24] will do the female vocals. I met Michèle online when I was living at Rats house (Varukers/Discharge). I was downloading some music in Soulseek [Can't Cheat Karma: Zounds] and her username was: DISCHARGETTE = so, I had to say Hi! Now, we are married since 21 March 2012. New bassist Brownie [23] (a metal-head) was introduced to us by a guy we originally drafted in on vocals (Craig Newman from 1000 Scars) but he (Craig) didn't work out. Brownie is fkn metal-mad & plays bass for Belligerence (a computer-based metal band) & was bassist for a metal band called Fractured. On vocals, we just drafted in Lambert [33] (ex-Bomb Blast Men). 

I am really pleased with the new guys & rehearsals are going very well. We are preparing for Rebirth 2013 on the 8th June which will be our reunion show in my hometown of Nottingham. Support is from The More I See, Freebase, These Skies, Murder's Coming Back (Hungary) + 1 more band.

We hope to record a new demo in March & possibly make a video (this will be free).


2. How would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and how it differs from previous releases?

It will differ only in production I would imagine. The sound is pretty much going to be a mix of really old style (like Your Turn Next) but with more melodic metal/grind style. If I had to give an idea, I would say take Exodus/Trouble/Sacrilege/Sox and mix it up a little. The lyrics will remain positive/angry/anarcho/intelligent...

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the new music explores?

Everything! We will update some of the older subjects covered & hopefully write with more intelligence. We will try to incorporate more positive subjects based on personal development & awakening where possible. We are not religious but it is a topic that interests us. Truth is very important to us so we will endeavour to include as much as we know...

4. When can we expect a new album?

To be honest, I've not really thought about it. As it is, we are a long way off recording an album worth of music right now. I'd say we have 5 or 6 new songs which are strong enough but we're in no hurry to rush a release. We'll probably release something substantial later in the year...

5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?

I was asked by someone in the street what I was going to call the band. I replied (without thinking) 'Concrete Sox.' It is a parody of a local band of madmen who were named Steamroller Gloves. My reply just came from my mouth...

6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

We played many shows and none stand out so much for a particular reason. My last Sox show in October 1987 in south Germany stood out as I knew I was leaving & it's just happened that it was a great show. I think that was 9th October in Stuttgart. Also, the 1st big show we played at Oddies in Oldham (no longer a venue) was special. We supported our friends Chaos UK & Disorder. It was the 1st big show we did & the crowd welcomed us in a big way. That was the night Concrete Sox became a band...

7. Do you have any touring plans for the future?

Yes, of course. I'm busy planning shows all of the time. We play our reunion show 'Rebirth 2013' on 8th June in our hometown of Nottingham. We have around 12 shows in June. For July, we are organising a small tour or Ireland & in August, we plan to go to USA. We will also play as many Punx Picnics & Festivals as we can once we are ready. We've not looked beyond these dates too much but we have 2 shows also for September...

8. What is your opinion on the bands you helped influence?

I don't think I can answer that question in too much depth to be honest. Every band that ever got involved with punk has been an influence to someone esle. Sox are just another link in the chain. If we managed to influence anyone, then great, it's all been worthwhile. I have had messages from people saying 'aww man, Sox are a big influence' and that's fucking brilliant to hear. I wouldn't know that we influenced anyone in particular.

9. The band was broken up for a long time, what was the cause of the split and what made you decide to reform the band?

The band split in 1999 having no original members left. I suppose they saw no future for the band anymore. I don't know much about what happened after I left in 87 as I left the scene for many years & had children etc. I left because of Les the bassist. The guy is a fucking maniac & I could no longer take the stage with him. It really made me angry & sad to leave the band I started but I had to get away from him. He was offered the chance to come to the new band in 2009 & he even did vocals at one show in 2010. But then, he went back to his old ways & tried to steal Concrete Sox back from me. I had to get legal representation to get rid of him (I own the band name registration 'Concrete Sox' by the way). He is still trying to cause problems for Concrete Sox.

10. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to the reunion?

It's been really positive so far. There have been a couple of bad comments due to the fucked up tour in 2010 but I expect that. I have moved on & live in the now. Interest has been high & many old friends have resurfaced offering their support & saying how good it is to see Sox again.

11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Far far too many to list. We listen to a lot of streaming punk radio + many new bands. Having youtube/facebook/reverbnation is fkn great (of course, we never had that in the 80s). It is not possible to mention everyone = therte are tonnes of bands out there & they pop-up all the time. At the time I startedConcrete Sox began, we were listening to: Riistetyt/Anti-Cimex/Terveet Kadett/Gism/Venom/Slayer/Voivod/Metallica/Metal Church/Hellhammer/Celtic Frost/Sacrilege/English Dogs/Flipper etc. Later: COC/Ludichrist/Crumbsuckers/DRI/MDC etc. Fucking 1000s of bands. We were lucky knowing Dig (from Earache) & Kalv (from Heresy) who used to trade tapes worldwide so we got to hear all the bands, punk and metal, way before they ever became popular...

12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Sex and drugs and rock 'n roll hehe. All the guys in the band have differing interests. Pug/Brownie are into comics (Marvell/DC). Pug will intoxicate himself with ANYTHING that looks/smeels weird. Brownie has a young baby son so that's him tied up for another 17 years or more. Lambert: hmm, he's an odd one. I don't know what he likes (I don't think he does). I do know he gets drunk really quickly! Oh yeah; Lambert likes New Model Army. Michèle and myself are into tattoo's (we got to Hungary many times a year to get inked). We also travel a lot. We have many books on pre-ancient history & are deeply into spititualism & psychedelia. We have many books on alternative topics by authors such as: Terence McKenna, Jonathon Ott, Graham Hancock, Rick Strassman etc. We are space explorers ;)

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

To all the good people involved in the scene (you know who you are): Keep on striving & keep on fighting! We are with you every stop of the way! Love, Peace, Truth & Light to all...

Thanks, Vic...

No comments:

Post a Comment