Monday, March 18, 2013

Birth A.D Interview

 1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

We have our debut LP, "I Blame You", coming out on April 2 via
Unspeakable Acts/Dark Descent Records. It was produced by Alex
Perialas, and it is the antidote to the retro-thrash malaise. We'll
also do a series of shows on the east coast with Evil Army on the
first weekend of April, so get ready for that!

> 2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it
> differs from previous releases?
It's crossover thrash, pure and simple. It sounds exactly like the
last release except this time with more horsepower on all fronts,
along with several new songs.

> 3. I know that the band members has a background in black and death metal,
> what was the decision to go back to your thrash and crossover background and
> reform the band?
I said everything I could about black metal with my former band, and I
didn't want to have to try it again on my own. Also, I had been
planning to recreate Birth AD since 2001 but Averse Sefira started to
gain momentum and there was never time for both.

> 4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with
> the new release?
Frustration with the world at large is the primary theme. My lyrics
aren't political as much as they are sociological, so they run the
gamut from standard complaints to outright advocacy of mass murder.

> 5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
My original band was called Afterbirth, but I didn't want to use that
name again, so it was a marriage of ideas. Birth AD references the
classic Misfits album Earth AD, but it also means "Birth After Death"
in effect, or "Afterbirth". Got it?

> 6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how
> would you describe your stage performance?
Our stage performance is aggressive and high-velocity, though
sometimes I'm known to throw in a joke or two between songs. Probably
the best shows were some of the ones we played in Japan, along with
the pleasure of doing a sold-out show with DRI.

> 7. Do you have any touring plans for the new album?
Yes, like I said for now we will play Boston, New York, Philadelphia,
and Baltimore with Evil Army in April. After that, we'll see. My hope
is that the album gets us the attention we need to tour more.

> 8. The new album came out on Unspeakable Axe Records, which is a sub label
> of the well known death/black metal label Dark Descent Records, can you
> tell us more about this sub label?
It's a brand new label dedicated to more traditional thrash and speed
metal. It's fun to think we will be the debut release for them. Eric
and Matt are both great guys and I am looking forward to the results.

> 9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of
> crossover and thrash?
I've been pleasantly surprised with the response. We sell shirts and
albums all over the planet, though I've noticed Australia seems to be
a hot spot for us at the moment. I'd love to play there!

> 10. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
Nope.

> 11. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
With Birth AD, my mission is to keep it frozen in place. There will be
new riffs, new ideas, but the sound will remain the same. I don't like
it when bands change too much. I want our band to be the Motorhead of
crossover!

> 12. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your newer
> music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I'm mainly just blasting the usual suspects when it comes to stuff
that inspires Birth AD, including Death Strike, DRI, SOD, Dr. Know,
Excel, and so on. Dr. Know has new stuff in the works, which is
exciting, and I recently re-discovered the German band SDI, so I'm
having fun with that at the moment.

> 13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Standard stuff - reading, traveling, and I'm fascinated with film
making. I've started working as an extra in bigger Hollywood
productions, so we'll see if I show up in anything.

> 14. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Kill hipsters and cause problems!

No comments:

Post a Comment